Thursday, August 4, 2011

Oral Surgery

So all my life I've had poor dental health.  Since I was 9 I've had 6 teeth pulled.  I have been dealing with one molar for about 4 years now.  Had a crown out on it back then, and it has since broken off about 1.5 years ago.  Instead of getting it fixed I ignored it.  Well a few months ago while chewing a tootsie roll the filling in that tooth came out...and it's been down hill since.  Over the past year a different molar has steadily been breaking off here and there...then 2 weeks ago a BIG chunk came off...at this point I was like...it's gotta happen...gotta get em pulled.

I should clarify, I'm not afraid of the dentist at all.  It's just over the years the one's that I have seen have been so rude and judgmental.  I brush my teeth everyday and about 2 years ago I started to regularly floss...that's awesome I think! ;)  But growing up in Louisiana the well water we drank didn't come with Fluoride...imagine that!  So my teeth appear to be ok...I've never had to have braces or anything like that luckily...but they pretty much rot from the inside out.  Some dentists can be pretty mean about it.  That is what has kept me away from them.  I got referred to this dentist in Duncanville and she is AWESOME!  I really like her and she doesn't make me feel like crap!

I went to her last week to get the upper tooth pulled and she pulled it....but couldn't get the tip of the root out.  It was too close to my sinuses and so she sent me to an oral surgeon.  So yesterday at 10:00am I went in to see him.  He went ahead and pulled the other broken tooth for me...and it was awesome!  I was given gas and sedated.  I was awake and really only remember them putting the stitches in.  I honestly thought I would be feeling pretty awful today...but I'm not.  I've been able to eat and have been able to manage the uncomfortableness with Advil. So all in all this dentist experience has been a good one. 

I was scared to death at first to be sedated...but it's the way to go.  It's definitely more expensive...but so much more worth it for me to not have an anxiety attack. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment